4th Pre-season Backcountry Gathering - Sat 26 Nov 2016
Welcome to a day of inspiration. Whether you’re just starting to access off piste and back country terrain, wondering how to do it better - and safer, or perhaps planning your next big adventure, this is your chance to meet like minded individuals. We're bringing together a group of well informed and inspirational presenters to informally share, inform and update you. Workshops, designed for individuals to learn and refresh skills, will run throughout the day, and you'll be able to try out a whole pile of new and different gear.
THIS YEAR WE'RE SUPPORTING ... SARDA
All proceeds from the 2016 raffle will go towards our 4-legged friends at SARDA - the Search and Rescue Dog Association. This charity trains dogs and their handlers to search for missing persons, and covers all of Scotland, 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year. Your Gathering ticket will include a raffle ticket, and more raffle tickets will be on sale throughout the day. PRIZES include ... beanies ,Tshirts, rucksacs, places on courses ...
As always ... this schedule is draft and timings are subject to change.
09:00 Gondola running
09:00 Arrival and registration, coffee, bacon/egg rolls on arrival (included in price)
10:00 Welcome and Introduction
- Back Country Skiing, the Dark Art, Andy Nelson
- Tourers Code and Access, MCofS
- Tales of Lessons Learned from Skiing in Avalanche Terrain, Mark Chadwick & Ian Sherrington
- Be Aware app, Mark Diggins, SAIS
12:45 Lunch (included in price)
13:15/30 WORKSHOPS & PRESENTATIONS - the hands-on, need-to-know stuff, sign up for your choices of workshop on the day.
- Avalanche Hazards, SAIS
- Transceivers, Nevis Range Ski Patrol
- Digging, Nevis Range Ski Patrol
- Ski Fit, Jacqui Parfitt, Lochaber Physiotherapy
- Ropework, Gillian Culshaw
- Navigation, Di Gilbert
- Nevis Range Back Corries, Nevis Range Ski Patrol
- Helly Hanson Gear
- Nevis Range Off-piste
- Be Avalanche Aware
15:30 SARDA Demonstration, Meagaidh
- Made in Scotland, Jamie, Lonely Mountain Skis
- PRIZE DRAW
- Hut to hut tours in Scotland, Scandinavia and Canada, Roger Wild
18:00 End of formal Gathering
19:00 WARREN MILLER FILM
We're delighted to have the following companies joining us at the Gathering ...
- Desre Wilson Art
- Glemore Lodge
- Helly Hanson
- Insitu Climbing
- Lonely Mountain Skis
- Ski Mountain
- Where? - the Snowgoose restaurant & bar, Nevis Range - wind permitting. The Pinemarten cafe bar at the Gondola Base Station will be the alternative venue.
- When? - Saturday 26 November 2016
- How much? - we're holding the price at £15 per person. In addition to the great craic, speakers and workshops, this includes your welcome tea/coffee and breakfast roll as well as your lunch. Vegetarian options are available and can be opted for when you book. If the venue is the Snowgoose, a complimentary (return) gondola trip will be included.
... AND MORE
- Any suggestions for the day - please get in touch with Jeff on firstname.lastname@example.org